Lexan Polycarbonate: Most Desirable Polycarbonate by Industries
Polycarbonates are a type of thermoplastic polymers that have carbonate groups in their structure and hence are considered highly resilient and tough material. That is also the reason why they are used for the manufacturing of a wide array of products ranging from construction material, automotive, security components to bulletproof glasses which are usually transparent in nature.
Lexan polycarbonate is a brand from the house of Lexan and offers the same properties popular with these types of polycarbonates. It involves a unique development process and a chemical make-up that helps in making it one of the most versatile products on this planet.
The resin thermoplastic was developed in 1960 by General Electric (GE) and since then it has been highly useful for a variety of applications. In the following sections, we take a look at some of the other aspects of Lexan polycarbonate and the reason for its widespread prevalence.
- Easily deforms under extreme heat – Lexan polycarbonate is from a family of thermoplastics that can undergo considerable deformation without breaking or getting cracked. It is a solid substance that is capable of getting deformed under intense heat conditions, typically in the range of 147-297 degrees Fahrenheit because its molecules are made up of repeating subunits. Hence they can be well-suited for harsh climatic conditions and intense pressure.
- Superb impact strength – One of the attractive features of Lexan polycarbonate is that it offers magnificent impact strength. When completely made, a polycarbonate sheet can exhibit a 250 times impact that of glass and even 30 times greater than acrylic which is a similar type of thermoplastic. This transformative ability in a material is very much required for many types of applications.
- Flexible with temperatures, material, and forms – Apart from the above-mentioned properties of Lexan polycarbonate, there are some other prominent benefits of using this thermoplastic. It can easily withstand high temperature without being deformed and can stay firm till about 240 degrees Fahrenheit. It can also bend without being heated or can also be cold formed. The flammability of the material is quite low and it is highly resistant to acids as well as liquids like gasoline. The material can also be drilled without worrying about it causing cracks during the process.
In a very short span of time, the Lexan polycarbonate has created a brand for itself. The thermoplastic is highly useful for a wide range of applications and that is the reason why it is so highly chosen among many sectors to meet their needs. Here are some applications of polycarbonate in various industries to gain a better understanding of this material-
- Construction Industry: – The ability of the material to be easily deformed is highly useful to cater to many types of specific needs in the construction industry. The polycarbonate is most widely used to manufacture corrugated sheets, curved or flat glazing, sound walls, and dome lights. Its sheets can be also very helpful to prevent high-impact incidents and its UV-protection feature can be an added benefit for many users in the construction industry.
- Automotive Industry: The automobile windshields and windows are made from Lexan polycarbonate to provide a perfect and flexible finish to the vehicles with its 40-90% light transmission ability.
- Airline Industry: The polycarbonate also helps in creating the roofs, plumbing areas and the inside of an aircraft as it provides durability to the outside weather even at high altitudes.
- Other Industries: Machine guards, phone and computer cases, diffusers, LED light pipes, reusable drinking bottles, window cover, and many other similar items are produced from polycarbonate material available in varied surface textures and colours. Hence many industries find this product extremely useful.
Due to so many properties of polycarbonate and its massive usage in various sectors, this is surely one of the most popular materials to create the exteriors of many products worldwide.