Dental Implants will Last for a Lifetime – How Far is this True?
Do you have missing or lost teeth problem? If yes, then you need to perform dental implants in London for your improved appearance and confidence level. There arises an important question, “Will a dental implant last forever?” Well, there is nothing as such permanent but with proper care and maintenance, you may expect an impact to last for not less than 25 years. Dental implants are a permanent solution for replacing your missing tooth/teeth. Though they are artificial, implants will give you the look and feel of natural teeth.
Dental implants can support dental structure and withstand the problem of biting and chewing without slipping as they are attached firmly to your jawbone. It is advised that you see a dentist and ask if you are the right candidate for the treatment. If you want to understand fully “do dental implants last forever,” it is important to know about the components of an implant. The three basic components of an affordable dental implant are the following:
- Implant – This is actually the root-like part of an implant that is made of titanium and inserted surgically into the jawbone of an individual. The implant functions in the form of a tooth root for the prosthetics such as bridges or crowns.
- Abutment – The abutment is then screwed onto the implant that remains above the gum line and holds prosthetics into the proper place.
- Crown – This appears like your natural tooth which is made of ceramic and fastened to the abutment to imitate natural tooth.
The exposed parts of the implant such as crown and abutment are highly susceptible to deterioration than the implant itself. Hence, the titanium post might last for a long time but the crown may last for nearly 15 to 25 years depending on how well you care for and maintain them.
How long will dental implants last?
You must have heard that dental implants may last for nearly 25 years or even more. This is very true until you take proper care of the implants. Well, dental implants actually depend on various factors such as:
- Your dental practices – It is extremely important to take care and maintain your implant by brushing twice a day and flossing daily. You also need to visit a dentist once in every six months for mouth cleanings and routine check-ups.
- How to use teeth – If you bite or chew hard on certain food items, then this will have a negative impact on the lifespan of your implant.
- How efficient the dentist is who takes care of implant – If an experienced dentist had done an implant surgery, your implant will last for a long time. Since the dentists of a dental implant clinic know how to place the implant properly, they will assess osseointegration progress and find out if the jawbone has been fused completely with the implant.
- Location of your implant – The location of the implant in your mouth determines the longevity of your dental implant. For example, the implant that had been positioned at the back of your mouth will get more pressure due to chewing than the one that has been positioned in the front. Due to this reason, the implant at the back of your mouth will fail quickly than the one at the front of your mouth.
- Your oral health and hygiene – Individuals who are addicted to smoking or drinking heavily are at greater risk of suffering from implant failure than non-smokers and non-drinkers. If you want to know whether your implant will last for a long time, then it is suggested to quit the habit of smoking and drinking before and after placing the implant.
Thus, if you have any questions related to the dental implant procedure, get in touch with the dentists and know about them. This will make the entire process easy and convenient for you. Don’t forget to ask about the cost of dental implants in London from your dentist before undergoing it so that the treatment fits within your estimated budget.