A major portion of today’s economy is very much dependant on the “Ecommerce” industry. We all can understand this when we order something from another part of the world and get it delivered to your very doorstep. This sector of commerce really deserves some more attention for the benefit of all.
There are a lot of would-be entrepreneurs who want to set up an online business of some sort to gain economic solvency and independence but do not know how to get started or where to sell their products.
In this article, we’re going to look into that. If you ever spent even a small amount of time online you surely know the names Amazon and Shopify. These are two of the biggest platforms for online buying and selling of products. So we are going to look into which one is the best choice for a would-be entrepreneur such as yourself.
Let’s discuss Shopify first here. Shopify is a digital e-commerce platform that enables retailers such as nestle, tesla, Budweiser and other big retailing companies to create an online store for customers. Here you can manage your entire store and inventory. Shopify gives you the freedom to control your own store. It’s sort of like renting an entire building to just sell your products.
Amazon is an online marketplace. In Amazon, you can put your products up for sale along with all the others who are using Amazon as a platform to sell their products. You will not have as much control over your products. Selling your products on Amazon is kind of like you putting up a stall in a festival alongside others who are doing the exact same thing. The benefit of using Amazon as an e-commerce platform is, people are going to stumble on to your products themselves.
List of pros and cons
Let’s take a look at the list of pros and cons that both Shopify vs Amazon has to offer.
- Amazon will provide your products with more exposure. It gets millions of traffic in a day.
- Amazon itself will provide the shipping, packaging services for your products. This will make your life a little easier.
- Amazon will sell your product for you.
- You don’t have to worry about advertising your product.
- Amazon sells millions of products, there are no guarantees that your product will sell.
- At times you might even have to compete with Amazon itself.
- It’s hard to get brand recognition just from selling on Amazon.
- Shopify has a large array of tools to help you build your online store.
- Shopify gives you the liberty to have your own store where you will only sell your products.
- It gives your brand its own identity.
- Shopify as a monthly fee, and it also has an app store. Adding third-party apps can increase the cost.
- You will have to market and advertise your own store.
- You will have to manage everything yourself.